The Council of Ministers on August 25 approved a proposal by the Minister of Health to send aid to Turkey worth 100,000 US dollars.
Announcing the decision after the meeting, Foreign Minister Ioannis Kasoulides said that the aid, in medicine or other items will be sent through the UN agency in Geneva, which coordinates the relief effort.
Kasoulides said that only two days after the catastrophic earthquake, notes were sent to both the Turkish Government and the UN agency in charge to inform them that one forensic expert, two general surgeons, two nurses and a civil engineer from Cyprus were willing to go to Turkey to offer help, on a voluntary basis. But, he said, no reply was received.
Greek Cypriots have been touched by the devastating effects the earthquake had on the people of Turkey and have offered their assistance despite the fact that Turkey continues to occupy 37 per cent of Cyprus’ territory. Two Greek Cypriot doctors and a nurse went to Turkey last week to offer their expertise and a local radio station is waging a campaign to raise funds for the stricken areas.
President Glafcos Clerides has sent a message to his Turkish counterpart Suleyman Demirel and political parties have issued announcements expressing sorrow over the loss of life.